Well, we made it to the first day of school.
Butterfly was excited to get started and she got dressed while her older sister got ready for her own adventure of finding a school to which to go (we had been un-enrolled by the last school, but no one informed us).
Here is a first day shot of our new homeschooler!
I had taken the advice of several sources and planned my week in PENCIL so that we could change things around as we found our rhythm. Luckily, the novelty of staying home with Mom was pretty high that day, so we were able to get a lot done.
Our Course of Study for Day #1
- Singapore Math (she hated math in school, but this program shows a lot of visual representation of items so she can get into it)
- Windows of the World – Introduction to Praying for the World
- Review of John 3:16
- Blackbird Reading and Story analysis – “The Hundred Dresses“
- Reading (30 min)
- Maps & Globes – 17 pages about maps & globes (!)
- “Passport” Application (actually completed the day before)
- Geography Pretest (my darling daughter knew 0% of any geographical anything – nowhere to go but up!)
- Properties of Ecosystems – introduction to such terms as “biotic,” “abiotic,” “ecosphere,” and “population” – a little heavy for a 3rd grader, but we have all year to get it down 😉
- Anatomy and Physiology – She got to color while I read to her…Hey! Wait a minute!!!
- Wee Sing – the cutest little song about saying “Hello to all the Children of the World!” – cute until you end up humming it in your sleep (**true story).
- Art Lesson #1 – Monet
So we did all of that by 11:30am (!!!!!) ate lunch and then trundled off to the Y for Physical Education, which was…Swimming. Butterfly and I swam laps for 25 min and then came home to get ready to pick her sister up from school.
We were both on our “best behavior” so it went well, but I’m already seeing that there is too much packed into the day, even if we were able to finish it in 3 hours.
But, today, I’m counting as a success!